- What is Value-Based Purchasing?
- Behavioral Health/Substance Abuse
- Employee’s Assistance Program
- Drug Screening
- Pharmacy Benefit Management
- Physician on Call
- Disease Management
- Workers’ Compensation Case Management
What Is Express Scripts?
Express Scripts is the nation’s second-largest Pharmacy Benefit Manager (PBM). Employers use pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs) to design, implement, and manage the prescription benefit provided to their employees and their dependents.
Express Scripts has provided pharmacy benefit management (PBM) services to the ECHO Coalition since 2003. Common features of pharmacy benefit programs and our fully integrated offering include:
- Home Delivery Pharmacy Services
- Retail Pharmacy Networks
- Claims processing
- Benefit design consultation
- Clinical programs
- Formulary management
- Manufacturer rebate administration
- Specialty pharmaceuticals distribution
- Retiree benefit coverage through Medicare Part D
- Consumer-directed healthcare
As a standalone PBM, we leverage our scale for the benefit of ECHO members. In addition to increased buying power, which results in deeply discounted rates, our scale enables us to implement innovative approaches to improving health and value.
Why Express Scripts
According to Express Scripts’ 2009 Drug Trend Report, member behavior leads to $163 billion in pharmacy-related waste each year — including $2.4 billion in waste in Alabama alone. Three solutions that Alabama employers can take advantage of today include:
- Increase use of generics and preferred brands to eliminate more than $800 million in waste due to poor drug selection.
- Promote utilization of the mail-order pharmacy to drive out nearly $100 million in waste due to members choosing retail instead of mail.
- Ensure members take their medications as prescribed to manage the $1.5 billion in waste caused by poor therapy adherence.